Ph.D., Docent, senior lecturer in Materials Physics
Since February 2009, I am senior lecturer/associate professor in in the Materials Physics group.
I am the coordinator of the graduate research school "Materials for the 21st Century",
(Avancerade material för 2000-talet)
encompassing graduate students from physics, materials chemistry and engineering sciences.
Present responsibilities in the Materials Physics division
- Main supervisor of graduate student Andreas Frisk
- Assistant supervisor of graduate student Atieh Zamani
- Responsible for the magneto-optic Kerr microscope
E-mail: gabriella.andersson( at )physics.uu.se
Telephone (office): 018-471 3589 (from abroad +46-18-471 3589)
Fax (Department of Physics and Astronomy): 018-471 5999 (from abroad +46-18-471 5999)
Office location: Å61413
Magnetism in thin films, multilayers and heterostructures
In the Materials Physics group we specialize in growth and characterization of thin layered structures, mostly metallic.
The main interest is fundamental research on magnetism.
My main current activity is in imaging of magnetic domains using Kerr microscopy. In this field I have
a close collaboration with Dr. Rudolf Schäfer at IFW Dresden, Germany, funded by the
Grants Programme 2009-2014.
Films, multilayers and heterostructures are produced by sputtering under ultra-high
vacuum conditions. Then they are characterized structurally by x-ray diffraction and
reflectometry, and magnetically by e.g. magnetooptic Kerr
effect (MOKE) measurements. We also collaborate with, e.g., the Solid
State Physics division at the Department of Engineering Sciences, where additional
magnetic characterizations can be performed. Collaboration with the Surface and Interface Science
division at our own department has resulted in that I have done x-ray
magnetic circular dichroism (XMCD) and resonant magnetic scattering (XRMS) measurements at
e.g. MAX-Lab, Lund, Sweden.
Since 2006, I have occasionally used the neutron scattering facilities
(LLB in Saclay and ILL
in Grenoble), primarily for structural investigations on superlattices containing Fe
and Co. The experiments in 2006-2008 were largely funded by travel grants from the
Swedish Research Council.
A popular survey (in Swedish) of the magnetism in thin films can be found
in the publication Kosmos 78 (2001) 77-114 (O. Eriksson, G. Andersson, O. Karis and
P. Svedlindh), published by the Swedish Physical Society
- Doctor of Philosophy (filosofie doktor) in Physics, Uppsala University 1999
- Docent appointment in "Physics, with specialization in Atomic, Molecular, and
Condensed Matter Physics", at the Faculty of Science and Technology, Uppsala University 2006
- Researcher in Materials Physics, Uppsala University, February 2007-January 2009.
- Research associate/assistant professor ("forskarassistent") in Materials Physics,
Uppsala University, February 2003-January 2007.
- Researcher in Physics, Uppsala University, October 2000 - January 2003.
- Temporary research position in the group of Dr Jaques Ferré at
Laboratoire de Physique des Solides, Orsay, France,
January - February 2001.
- Researcher at the Swedish Institute for Metals Research (presently
Swerea KIMAB) in Stockholm, February - October 2000.
Publications since 2003
Link to publications prior to 2003.
Articles in peer-reviewed international journals (reverse chronology, 2003-2012)
- Martina Ahlberg, Panagiotis Korelis, Gabriella Andersson, and Björgvin Hjörvarsson, Effect of ferromagnetic proximity on critical behavior, Physical Review B 85 (2012) 224425
- M. Ahlberg, G. Andersson, and B. Hjörvarsson,
Two-dimensional XY-like amorphous Co68Fe24Zr8/Al70Zr30 multilayers.
Physical Review B 83, 224404 (2011)
- U.B. Arnalds, E.Th. Papaioannou, T.P.A. Hase, H. Raanaei, G. Andersson, T.R. Charlton, S. Langridge, and B. Hjörvarsson,
Magnetic structure and diffracted magneto-optics of patterned amorphous multilayers.
Physical Review B 82, 144434 (2010)
- M.Ahlberg, M. Marcellini, A. Taroni, G. Andersson, M. Wolff and B. Hjörvarsson,
Influence of boundaries on magnetic ordering in Fe/V superlattices.
Physical Review B 81, 214429 (2010).
- S. Granroth, R. Knut, M. Marcellini, G. Andersson, S. Svensson, O. Karis, M. Gorgoi, F. Schäfers, W. Braun, W. Eberhardt, W. Olovsson, E. Holmström, and N. Mårtensson,
Investigation of interface properties of Ni/Cu multilayers by high kinetic energy photoelectron spectroscopy.
Physical Review B 80, 094104 (2009).
- H. Raanaei, H. Nguyen, G. Andersson, H. Lidbaum, P. Korelis, K. Leifer and B. Hjörvarsson, Imprinting layer specific magnetic anisotropies in amorphous
Journal of Applied Physics 106, 023918 (2009).
- M. Björck, G. Andersson, B. Sanyal, M. Hedlund and A. Wildes, Segregation and interdiffusion in (Fe,Co)/Pt superlattices.
Physical Review B 79, 085428 (2009).
- A.R. Wildes, M. Björck and G. Andersson, Some observations on polarized neutron reflectivity in applied fields,
Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 20 (2008) 295216.
- M. Björck, M. Hedlund and G. Andersson, Magnetic moments in Fe-Co/Pt superlattices,
Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials 320 (2008) 2660-2664.
- A. Liebig, G. Andersson, J. Birch and B. Hjörvarsson, Stability limits of superlattice growth: the case of Cr/V(001),
Thin Solid Films 516 (2008) 8468-8472.
- G. Andersson and B. Hjörvarsson, Effects of strain on magnetic anisotropy in Fe and Co based heterostructures,
Phase Transitions 81 (2008) 679-701 (special issue on Phase Transitions in Functional Thin Films).
- B. Hjörvarsson, G. Andersson, J.A. Dura, T.J. Udovic, P. Isberg and C.F. Majkrzak,
Temperature dependence of the magnetic interlayer ordering in Fe(3)/V(14)Hx (001) superlattices.
Superlattices & Microstructures 43 (2008) 101.
- M. Björck and G. Andersson, GenX: an extendible x-ray reflectivity refinement software utilizing
Journal of Applied Crystallography 40 (2007) 1174.
- A. Liebig, P. T. Korelis, H. Lidbaum, G. Andersson, K. Leifer and B. Hjörvarsson,
Morphology of amorphous Fe91Zr9/Al2O3 multilayers: Dewetting and crystallization.
Phys. Rev. B 75 (2007) 214202.
- P. Warnicke, G. Andersson, M. Björck, J. Ferre and P. Nordblad,
Magnetic properties of tetragonal Fe-Co alloys in Fe-Co/Pt (001) superlattices.
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19 (2007) 226218
- M. Björck, M. Pärnaste, M. Marcellini, G. Andersson and B. Hjörvarsson,
The effects of strain and interfaces on the orbital moment in Fe/V superlattices.
J. Mag. Mag. Mater. 313 (2007) 230-235
- E. Holmström, W. Olovsson, I.A. Abrikosov, A.M.N. Niklasson, B. Johansson, M. Gorgoi,
O. Karis, S. Svensson, F. Schäfers, W. Braun, G. Öhrwall, G. Andersson, M. Marcellini
and W. Eberhardt, Sample preserving deep interface characterization technique.
Phys. Rev. Letters 97 (2006) 266106.
Featured in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology 15 (2007).
- G. Andersson, H Lidbaum, M. Björck, C. Chacon, C. Zlotea, B. Sanyal and S. Valizadeh,
Structure of Fe-Co/Pt (001) superlattices: a realization of tetragonal Fe-Co alloys.
J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19 (2007) 016008
- M. Björck, I. L. Soroka, C. Chacon-Carillo and G. Andersson:
The asymmetric interface structure of bcc Fe81Ni19/Co superlattices as revealed by neutron diffraction.
Thin Solid Films 515 (2007) 3619
- S. Kamali-M., A. Bergman, G. Andersson, V. Stanciu and L. Häggström:
Local magnetic effects of interface alloying in Fe/Co superlattices.
J. Phys. Condens. Matter 18 (2006) 5807-5824
- G. Andersson, T. Burkert, P. Warnicke, M. Björck, B. Sanyal, C. Chacon, C. Zlotea, L. Nordström,
P. Nordblad, O. Eriksson: Perpendicular magnetocrystalline anisotropy in tetragonally distorted
Fe-Co alloys. Phys. Rev. Letters 96 (2006) 037205
- I. L. Soroka, M. Björck, R. Brucas, P. Korzhavyi, G. Andersson: Element specific magnetic moments
in bcc Fe81Ni19/Co superlattices. Phys. Rev. B 72 (2005) 134409
- M. Björck, G. Andersson, B. Lindgren, R. Wäppling, V. Stanciu, P. Nordblad:
Element specific magnetic moment profile in bcc Fe/Co superlattices.
J. Mag. Mag. Mater. 284 (2004) 273
- A. M. Blixt, G. Andersson, V. Stanciu, B. Skubic, E. Holmström, P. Nordblad, B. Hjörvarsson:
Magnetic phase diagram of Fe0.82Ni0.18/V superlattices.
J. Mag. Mag. Mater. 280 (2004) 34
- B. Skubic, E. Holmström, O. Eriksson, A. M. Blixt, G. Andersson, B. Hjörvarsson, V. Stanciu:
Magnetic moments and exchange interactions in Fe0.82Ni0.18/V bcc (001) multilayers.
Phys. Rev. B 70 (2004) 094421
- G. Andersson, A. M. Blixt, V. Stanciu, B. Skubic, E. Holmström, P. Nordblad:
Influence of interface mixing on the magnetic properties of bcc Fe0.82Ni0.18/V (001) superlattices.
J. Mag. Mag. Mater. 267 (2003) 234
- A. M. Blixt, G. Andersson, J. Lu, B. Hjörvarsson: Growth and characterisation of Fe0.82Ni0.18/V (001)
J. Phys.: Cond. Matter 15 (2003) 625
Conference articles 2003-2010
- G. Andersson and M. Björck, Anisotropy tuning in tetragonal FeCo alloys.
Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 10 (2010) 6186-6189;
oral presentation at the IC4N conference in Halkidiki, Greece, 2008.
- M. A. Andreeva, A. G. Smekhova, B. Lindgren, M. Björck, G. Andersson,
Depth selective investigations of magnetic multilayers by x-ray resonant magnetic reflectivity,
J. Mag. Mag. Mater. 300 (2006) e371
- V. L. Aksenov, K. N. Jernenkov, Yu. N. Khaidukov, Yu. V. Nikitenko, A. V. Petrenko, V. V. Proglyado,
G. Andersson, R. Wäppling, Interplay between superconductivity and ferromagnetism in Fe/V multilayered
structure studied by polarized neutron reflectometry.
Physica B 356 (2005) 9
- J. Lu, A. M. Blixt, G. Andersson, B. Hjörvarsson, Proceedings of the Tenth International Beijing
Conference and Exhibition on Instrumental Analysis (BCEIA), Beijing 2003: TEM microstructure study of
Fe0.82Ni0.18/V magnetic superlattice.
Conference contributions with only abstracts (oral or poster)
These are presented on a separate page.
Popular science publications (in Swedish) 2002-2010
- G. Andersson, A. Danielsson, I. Martinson, S. Sorensen, P. Thörngren Engblom, K. Wiesner, Kosmos 81 (2004) 111-142: Kvinnor i fysik
Other published material 2002-2010
- BESSY Highlights 2006, pp 28-29.
M. Gorgoi, O. Karis, S. Svensson, F. Schäfers, W. Braun, G. Öhrwall, G. Andersson, M. Marcellini and W. Eberhardt: "Breaking through!
High energy photoelectrons give insight into deeply buried interfaces"
- MAX-lab Activity Report 2005-2006:
M. Björck, G. Andersson, pp 402-403; M. Björck, M. Pärnaste, M. Marcellini, G. Andersson, B. Hjörvarsson, pp 404-405
- MAX-lab Activity Report 2004:
M. Björck, G. Andersson, pp 348-349;
M. Björck, M. Pärnaste, G. Andersson, pp 350-351; M. Björck, I. Soroka, G. Andersson, pp 352-353.
- G. Andersson, M. Björck, B. Lindgren,
MAX-lab Activity Report 2002
(Profiltryckeriet, Malmö, 2003) pp 352-353
Playing the cello (visit the Internet Cello Society for an experience of this lovely
musical instrument!); third cello in chamber orchestra
Mellersta Upplands Kammarorkester with about ten concerts a year.
Orienteering on a beginner's level, member of OK Linne (Uppsala)
. My main achievment here
is that I completed all five days of the world's largest orienteering competition ("O-Ringen"
in 2006 (D21M class) as well as in 2008 and 2010 (D35M class).
Reading, painting in oil and water colours and spending time outside with my children (born 1998 and 2001) and my husband.
Last update October 11, 2012